The International Center for Journalist (ICFJ) In partnership with the World Health Organization (WHO) has previously extended opportunities to 84 journalists from 45 countries to participate in road safety reporting programs. These training sessions and global conferences work to deepen participants’ knowledge and expand their access to experts with the goal of raising awareness and spurring dialogue around critical – yet under-reported – road safety issues.
ICFJ with the support of WHO invites Journalists to apply for the 2020 Road Safety Training of Trainers (ToTs) Program. The ToTs will be a series of online workshops beginning for the first cohort in October of 2020. Each cohort, containing 10-15 participants will attend three online workshops (approximately three hours each) in the fall of 2020. The program will culminate in an online summit for all 30-45 of the participants from across the regions. The ToT is limited to the following countries:
- Latin America: Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, Ecuador, Colombia
- Western Pacific and South-East Asia: Bangladesh, India, Philippines, China, Vietnam, Malaysia
- Africa: Ethiopia, Ghana, Tanzania, Uganda
Applicants will be asked to provide the following:
- An essay outlining their interest in the program and what they hope to gain from it;
- A description of their news organization and/or any journalism associations and groups they belong to;
- A brief letter of support from an editor or newsroom manager confirming their support for the applicant’s participation in the program;
- A sample of a story, preferably related to road safety and/or injury prevention;
- A commitment to implement at least one road safety reporting training locally;
- Selection will be based on the journalists’ professional qualifications, relevant experience such as demonstrated interest in the topic of injury prevention or road safety, English-language proficiency, and endorsement by a newsroom manager.
The application deadline is Sunday, September 20th, 2020 (11:59pm U.S. Eastern Daylight Time).
Interested applicants can apply here: https://www.icfj.org/our-work/2020-road-safety-reporting-training-trainers