The Africa-China Reporting Project (ACRP) at Wits Centre for Journalism is inviting all journalists, media practitioners and photographers to submit images for an Africa-China Photo Exhibition that will collect images from across Africa that best encapsulate applicants’ interpretation of “Africa–China”.
The Project will include selected images in an Africa-China Photo Exhibition and make them publicly available under a Creative Commons license, giving full credit to the image owners at all times. The Project will also select the best three images in the exhibition and give the following awards:
- First place: US$1,500 grant to write an accompanying story of the image as well as a fully paid trip to the Project’s Africa-China Journalists Forum in Johannesburg, South Africa on 20 – 22 November 2023, to speak further about the image
- Second place: US$1,500 grant to write the accompanying story of the image
- Third place: US$1,000 grant to write the accompanying story of the image
See below for requirements and how to apply.
Commonly the images accompanying Africa-China news tend to display meetings between high-ranking officials and occasionally the juxtaposition of maps and flags of the African continent and China.
As outlined on our About & Contact page, the Africa-China Reporting Project supports journalists to investigate complex Africa-China dynamics and uncover untold stories, emphasising on-the-ground African impact and perspectives to illustrate how the lives of the people of Africa are changing amid the comprehensive phenomenon of Africa-China interactions. The Project is calling for submissions that best encapsulate this vision of Africa-China.
- Submissions are open to all journalists, media practitioners and photographers
- Applicants must have taken the images themselves
- Images must be taken in Africa
- Each applicant can submit a maximum of three images, including the preferred name to be attributed
- Images must be submitted in high-res quality in freely accessible formats, preferably JPEG or PNG
How to apply
Submissions must be sent in an email with the title Submission: Africa-China Photo Exhibition to ACRPapplications@gmail.com by no later than 3 August 2023, and should contain the following:
- Applicant CV
- Maximum of three image submissions in highest quality in freely accessible formats, preferably JPEG or PNG
- A short description/paragraph to explain each image submission